2019-2020 Board of Directors
Sacha Deelstra – Chair
- Sacha joined the WECAN board in 2015. Having worked as a human services worker in the inner-city of Edmonton for the past 7 years, her work experience includes facilitating community food programs and an emergency food program. Sacha is passionate about food security and community development. In 2016, she completed a MA in Community Development.
Sandra McFadyen – Vice Chair
- Sandy McFadyen is a Professional Human Ecologist with a BSc in Family Studies as well as an MEd in the Administration of Postsecondary Education from the University of Alberta. She has certificates in Human Resources Management, University & College Administration, and Mastering Diplomacy & Protocol. She is an Assistant Chair in Engineering at the University and has been on campus for 29 years.More importantly, Sandy believes strongly in supporting personal well-being, food/housing stability and security, and working towards growth of self and others. She has volunteer experience as a board member for a number of non-profit organizations and actively looks for ways to give back to her community. She and her husband learn new things by travel and appreciating other cultures.
Dawn Arnold – Secretary
- Dawn is presently the Secretary for WECAN Food Basket Society as well as Chair of the HR and Board Governance Committees. Dawn is a retired teacher and school administrator who worked for Battle River School Division for 30 years. She has served in various capacities with several different organizations. Presently she is serving her fourth year as Chair of the Tofield-Ryley & Area Food Bank Society and also volunteers her time as a certified Advocate with Beaver County Victim Services. On a personal note, she is a fanatical life-long learner and a dedicated mom to 4 rescue dogs.Dawn joined the WECAN family in 2016 when she and another Food Bank volunteer realized their Food Bank was serving very few seniors in a town highly populated with elderly citizens – Thus the Tofield Depot was formed. In 2018, Tofield Depot expanded its reach to include Ryley, Alberta.
Samantha Frampton – Treasurer
- Samantha has completed undergraduate degrees in both Economics and Accounting and has been involved in budgeting and strategic business planning processes for several nongovernmental organization (NGO) boards. She has experience in several accounting and cost control positions and has completed all prerequisites for entry to the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Professional Education Program which she will be pursuing after completing her Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in 2019 at the University of Alberta. Further to accounting experience she has years of work experience in quality management positions in the publishing industry and then working on industrial multi-billion-dollar projects throughout Alberta and British Columbia. Samantha has special interests in strategic planning and financial management and is excited to contribute to the long-term success and sustainability of WECAN Food.
Christine McVea- Director at Large
- Christine brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to WECAN Food Basket having served as a board member, chair and then Program Manager and a volunteer at one of our WECAN depots over the past 10 plus years. Christine has a lifelong interest in food security.Christine holds a Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Social Work, and Masters in Social Work and is currently employed part time.
- Bernie is a finance professional with a career spanning close to a decade of progressive experience. She currently is the Vice President, Senior Financial Officer with Alberta Capital Finance Authority where she is responsible for the delivery of all fiscal activities and services for ACFA, including the leadership and direction of all financial strategies, practices, policies, reporting and business planning.Recently, her focus within ACFA has been on executing IT Modernization strategies and recommendations that realize significant enhancements in operational efficiency and client experience. With this experience, she can apply it to We Can Food Basket.Her prior community involvement experience includes serving as a Board Member and Treasurer for the Institute of Public Administration of Canada – Edmonton Region, Committee Member and Conference Moderator for the Women in Leadership Committee within the Government of Alberta, and Vice President Membership for the TM4PM Toastmasters Club.Bernie is a Chartered Professional Accountant with a focus on financial reporting and organizational improvement. In addition, Bernie has a Bachelor of Commerce degree, with a major in finance and a minor in accounting.
- Chelsea is a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) who has had over nine years of progressive accounting experience. She received her Bachelor of Business Administration with a major in Accounting in 2012, and recently completed her Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management in 2019. As the Corporate Controller of McKillican International Chelsea manages a number of departments including Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Payroll. Her experience also includes reviewing and managing all Canadian and American statutory and regulatory requirements, banking reporting requirements and day to day activities, operational agreements, and various accounting and operational reporting. Recently, she was a key leader in an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning System) conversion which included revamping processes and procedures to maximize operational efficiencies. Chelsea is looking forward to bringing her experience and knowledge to the WECAN board to help continue to provide food security and nutrition information to families and individuals at an affordable price.
Joshua Topliffe – Program Manager