2016 – 17 Board of Directors
Carla Brenner – President/Chair of the Board
Carla Brenner has been a member of WECAN Food Basket Society since 2005, when she and her two daughters were living on a very tight food budget. In 2011, Carla joined the Board of Directors and she is currently in her first term as Chairperson of the Board. She also volunteers on the Food Distribution Team of the West End Food Hub Alliance in Edmonton. Carla is a Professional Engineer working in the renewable fuels sector with FORGE Hydrocarbons Corp. She has a Master’s of Science (’10), in Food Science and Bioresource Technology from the Agriculture, Food and Nutritional Science Department at the University of Alberta and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering (’01), from the former department of Agriculture and Bioresource at University of Saskatchewan.
Keith Kasha – Director at Large
- Keith joined the board in 2009 at the suggestion of his friend. Keith also volunteers as a member of both the 9th Street Players and SEESA’s Accidental Drama Club. Keith is a volunteer Character Interpreter at Fort Edmonton Park, playing Johnny J. Jones on the 1920’s Midway. He has a background in computers and food services and has been employed at the Winspear Center since 2010 as a Guest Services Representative. Keith loves to cook and bake and collects recipes as a hobby.
Michael Klaray – Vice Chair
- Michael is a lawyer with the law firm of Duncan Craig LLP in Edmonton. He practices exclusively in the firm’s Estates Solutions practice group. Michael has experience with estate planning, corporate and tax planning, estate administration, estate litigation and matters related to adult incapacity. Michael is currently on the executive and vice-chair of the Canadian Bar Association Wills and Estates North Section. Michael is also a member of the Alberta Law Society and the Edmonton Bar Association.Michael speaks annually for the Edmonton Community Foundations “Wills Week”. Michael recently spoke at the LESA Annual Banff Refresher 2015 on Estate Litigation and he will be speaking in November 2015 for the Legal Education Society of Alberta on wills drafting. Michael has also presented to the Estate Planning Council of Edmonton on wills, to the Alberta Association of Gift Planners on wills legislation and for the University of Alberta on professional estate planning and planning related to the family cabin.Michael is an avid runner and his passions are sport and travel.
Sacha Deelstra- Director at Large
- Sacha joined the WeECAN board in 2015. Having worked as a human services worker in the inner-city of Edmonton for the past 5 years, her work experience includes facilitating community food programs and an emergency food program. Sacha is passionate about food security and community development
Rob Hill – Director at Large
- Rob is a salesperson for Molson and a CFL official. Rob likes to workout, play softball but really just likes all sports in general. Rob has a compassion for people with mental illness and those who require more assistance. He likes WECAN for its community spirit.
Paula McKinley – Director at Large
- Paula is a teacher who works at NAIT with students who are learning English as a Second language. Paula is married with one son. She is the facilitator for the Edmonton Poke’mon League and is a really good player. She manages tournaments and has travelled with her group to national championships. She sees that WECAN enables its participants to contribute what they can to their family needs’ without the stigma of it being a handout.
Darrell Penner – Treasurer
- Darrell is a small business owner and accountant for over 25 years. He is an avid peddle biker and runner. Darrell enjoys contributing to the community through many activities.
Connie Phillips – Secretary
- Connie is trained in Food Science, certified nutritionist, facilitation, coaching, engagement and change management. She is about to retire from Alberta Agriculture and now looking to fill her time with community projects. Her community involvement includes: Chair Devon Parks Program, Rec and Culture Board, Edmonton Shoebox Project for Women, many other volunteer projects and events. Connie believes in WECAN and wants to contribute to the community outreach with accessible, healthy, secure food.
Jen Sherburne – Director at Large
- Jen is an Environmental Scientist and now Quality Manager at Worley Parsons. As part of her role there, she works with United Way as a volunteer and campaign chair for Worley Parsons – ran a group of 30 core volunteers plus over 100 canvassers. She helped raise the largest amount ever seen in the history of the WP campaign. She is married with 2 young boys, who keeps her hands full. WECAN has peaked her interest and as she liked the idea of making a difference in the community by helping expand and making WECAN better in the years to come.
Suzanne Rigsby – Program Manager
Merlyn McKay-Barbeau – Office & Program Support Coordinator